Go Back   Club Bazooka > Bazooka Technical Forums > Amplified Tube Subwoofers

Notices

Old 01-26-2018, 05:09 PM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
JoeHedgehog is on a distinguished road
Default Bazooka Big Ez bass install issue

Hi, my son and I just finished installing the Big EZ Bass in his 2008 mazda 3. The subwoofer emits a rhythmic pulsing sound any time the ignition is on. It is also causing a similar sound to come from the right front speaker that was tapped. I assumed it was a ground issue, but we reworked the ground and it seems like it is good. Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting?
Old 01-29-2018, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bazooka Big Ez bass install issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHedgehog View Post
Hi, my son and I just finished installing the Big EZ Bass in his 2008 mazda 3. The subwoofer emits a rhythmic pulsing sound any time the ignition is on. It is also causing a similar sound to come from the right front speaker that was tapped. I assumed it was a ground issue, but we reworked the ground and it seems like it is good. Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting?
Pulsating noise can be one of several things, a ground issue at the Tube; a ground issue at the signal source; or a problem with the Auto-Turn On configuration. Take a look at the connections at the right front speaker. No noise from the left right front speaker? And please post back with how you have the switched remote +12V wire connected, as well as the Auto Turn-On Loop.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Just Gettin Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
Pulsating noise can be one of several things, a ground issue at the Tube; a ground issue at the signal source; or a problem with the Auto-Turn On configuration. Take a look at the connections at the right front speaker. No noise from the left right front speaker? And please post back with how you have the switched remote +12V wire connected, as well as the Auto Turn-On Loop.
Thanks for the reply. A couple of answers to your questions, and then an answer of my own. 1) Yes, you are correct -- there are no pulsing noises coming from the left front speaker, only the right. We pulled the head unit and confirmed that we have tapped the correct wires for the right front speaker. 2) My son's head unit doesn't have a switched accessory wire, so we ran a power lead from a switched circuit (cigarette lighter fuse) to tap the red wire into. The blue wired is tapped as per the installation instructions. 3) Not sure what the Auto Turn-on Loop is. If it's the yellow loop where the wires connect into the tube, it's plugged in.

Thanks again, look forward to your response!
Joe
Old 01-29-2018, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. A couple of answers to your questions, and then an answer of my own. 1) Yes, you are correct -- there are no pulsing noises coming from the left front speaker, only the right. We pulled the head unit and confirmed that we have tapped the correct wires for the right front speaker. 2) My son's head unit doesn't have a switched accessory wire, so we ran a power lead from a switched circuit (cigarette lighter fuse) to tap the red wire into. The blue wired is tapped as per the installation instructions. 3) Not sure what the Auto Turn-on Loop is. If it's the yellow loop where the wires connect into the tube, it's plugged in.

Thanks again, look forward to your response!
Joe
Disconnect the blue/white wire of the FAST-9999 harness, or, disconnect the Auto-Turn On Loop, of the Tube. This should clear up the problem.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:31 PM
Just Gettin Started

Quote:
Disconnect the blue/white wire of the FAST-9999 harness, or, disconnect the Auto-Turn On Loop, of the Tube. This should clear up the problem.
Hi, my son's away at school, but I had him try what you suggested. Pulsing sound is still present, along with sound from right front speaker. Below is a summary of how the harness wires are tapped into the stereo wires, as well as the results of his tests with the blue/white wire and yellow loop:

Harness >>>> Stereo
Red >>>> Power lead from Cigarette lighter fuse
Blue/White >>>> Orange/black with sliver dots (Accessory switched 12v+)
White >>>> White/black (Left Front Speaker +)
White/black >>>> Gray/black (Left Front Speaker -)
Gray >>>> White/red (Right Front Speaker +)
Gray/black >>>> Gray/red (Right Front Speaker -)

With Blue/white connected, and yellow loop plugged in, subwoofer works, but has pulsing sound.
With Blue/white connected, and yellow loop unplugged, subwoofer does not work.

With Blue/white disconnected, and yellow loop plugged in, subwoofer works, but has pulsing sound.
With Blue/white disconnected, and yellow loop unplugged, subwoofer does not work.

Thanks!
Joe
Old 01-31-2018, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hi, my son's away at school, but I had him try what you suggested. Pulsing sound is still present, along with sound from right front speaker. Below is a summary of how the harness wires are tapped into the stereo wires, as well as the results of his tests with the blue/white wire and yellow loop:

Harness >>>> Stereo
Red >>>> Power lead from Cigarette lighter fuse
Blue/White >>>> Orange/black with sliver dots (Accessory switched 12v+)
White >>>> White/black (Left Front Speaker +)
White/black >>>> Gray/black (Left Front Speaker -)
Gray >>>> White/red (Right Front Speaker +)
Gray/black >>>> Gray/red (Right Front Speaker -)

With Blue/white connected, and yellow loop plugged in, subwoofer works, but has pulsing sound.
With Blue/white connected, and yellow loop unplugged, subwoofer does not work.

With Blue/white disconnected, and yellow loop plugged in, subwoofer works, but has pulsing sound.
With Blue/white disconnected, and yellow loop unplugged, subwoofer does not work.

Thanks!
Joe
Disconnect the FAST-9999, from the right speaker, and reconnect at the same point. If the pulsating is still present, move the connections to a different point.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:48 AM
Just Gettin Started

Quote:
Disconnect the FAST-9999, from the right speaker, and reconnect at the same point. If the pulsating is still present, move the connections to a different point.
Hi, we've tried that in the past with no change. Would there be any harm in tapping into the right REAR speaker, instead of right FRONT?
Old 02-01-2018, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hi, we've tried that in the past with no change. Would there be any harm in tapping into the right REAR speaker, instead of right FRONT?
Is there a difference in the size of the rear speaker? If not, you can absolutely use the rear speakers for a signal input, I would move them both. However, if you do end up using the fader, and fade to front, the volume of the Tube will reduce accordingly.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:24 PM
Just Gettin Started

Quote:
Is there a difference in the size of the rear speaker? If not, you can absolutely use the rear speakers for a signal input, I would move them both. However, if you do end up using the fader, and fade to front, the volume of the Tube will reduce accordingly.
PROGRESS! My sons switched both speaker leads from the front speakers to the rear speakers. The pulsing is gone from both right front and the subwoofer. Now I have a new question. He indicates that the subwoofer doesn't seem to sustain the bass notes. He says it "hits" when the bass does, but doesn't sustain. Does that make sense?
Old 02-02-2018, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
PROGRESS! My sons switched both speaker leads from the front speakers to the rear speakers. The pulsing is gone from both right front and the subwoofer. Now I have a new question. He indicates that the subwoofer doesn't seem to sustain the bass notes. He says it "hits" when the bass does, but doesn't sustain. Does that make sense?
I would like to be helpful, but that is too vague to diagnosis over the forum. How far is the Tube, positioned from the vehicle? Remember, corner loading is a must.