Go Back   Club Bazooka > Bazooka Technical Forums > Component Amplifiers

Notices

Old 09-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
tnman is on a distinguished road
Help 0003 Amp draining battery

A car i bought has an EL1500 Bazooka 600W amp. The problem is that even when the stero is not on and the car is not runnig the amp is still drawing power off the battery. It is not a big amount if the car is not drove for a day it is enough to where it has to be jumped. At first I thought it was a bad battery then after the new battery started loosing power i determined it was the amp. I checked the wiring and it is all to the diagrahms. I took out the fuse which was installed within 6" from the postiive terminal. This was to check to see if it was the amp draining the battery. And the voltage quit dropping. With the fuse in the voltage will start slowly dropping. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem is. I would like to use the amp but cant afford to worry about a dead battery. Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Amp draining battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnman View Post
A car i bought has an EL1500 Bazooka 600W amp. The problem is that even when the stero is not on and the car is not runnig the amp is still drawing power off the battery. It is not a big amount if the car is not drove for a day it is enough to where it has to be jumped. At first I thought it was a bad battery then after the new battery started loosing power i determined it was the amp. I checked the wiring and it is all to the diagrahms. I took out the fuse which was installed within 6" from the postiive terminal. This was to check to see if it was the amp draining the battery. And the voltage quit dropping. With the fuse in the voltage will start slowly dropping. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem is. I would like to use the amp but cant afford to worry about a dead battery. Thanks
The first thing to check is to make sure that your alternator is charging. The amperage draw of an amplifier that is "on" as in the case that you are describing is minimal. If your alternator checks out you need to look at how the turn-on circuit is connected at both the amplifier and the headunit.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Just Gettin Started

Thanks for the reply.
I checked the wiring to the headunit. It was correct. I checked to make sure that the power cable from the battery didnt have a cut and was grounding against something and it was ok. When I have the fuse in the power cable it will start draining the battery about .5 volt over about an hour. When I take the fuse out I don't get any voltage drop. I also disconnected the wire from the head unit and with the fuse in it still draws voltage. It has me stumped, I orginally figured it was that the power cable had a bad spot on it and was grounding it out but I checked it and it was good. Thanks for your reply if you have any more suggestion for things to check it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnman View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I checked the wiring to the headunit. It was correct. I checked to make sure that the power cable from the battery didnt have a cut and was grounding against something and it was ok. When I have the fuse in the power cable it will start draining the battery about .5 volt over about an hour. When I take the fuse out I don't get any voltage drop. I also disconnected the wire from the head unit and with the fuse in it still draws voltage. It has me stumped, I orginally figured it was that the power cable had a bad spot on it and was grounding it out but I checked it and it was good. Thanks for your reply if you have any more suggestion for things to check it would be greatly appreciated.
If you have disconnected the remote turn-on wire and the amplifier is still drawing current you are dealing with an internal issue with the amplifier.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Just Gettin Started

Thanks again,
Thats what I was afraid of. I'll probably just pull it and the subs out of the car and sell them. Ill get better gas mileage without the weight of them. haha