Go Back   Club Bazooka > Bazooka Technical Forums > Amplified Tube Subwoofers

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Just Gettin Started

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
zipcat is on a distinguished road
Default BTH100FHC Thumping Sound/Max Level

Just had the BTA8100FHC installed in Honda Civic 2010. The gain control on the tube is turned up to maximum in order to get adequate bass response. When you turn on the ignition, there are a couple of fairly loud thumps as power cuts in and out to the tube when you go through "on" >"start">"on" with the key.

1. Is this harmful to the amp since the gain level is set to maximum or is there some kind full power surge protection circuitry to prevent damage to the amplifier?

2. How different does the 10" model sound compared to the 8"? Would the gain control still have to be maxed out? They both have the same 100 watt amplifier.

thanks.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: BTH100FHC Thumping Sound/Max Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcat View Post
Just had the BTA8100FHC installed in Honda Civic 2010. The gain control on the tube is turned up to maximum in order to get adequate bass response. When you turn on the ignition, there are a couple of fairly loud thumps as power cuts in and out to the tube when you go through "on" >"start">"on" with the key.

1. Is this harmful to the amp since the gain level is set to maximum or is there some kind full power surge protection circuitry to prevent damage to the amplifier?

2. How different does the 10" model sound compared to the 8"? Would the gain control still have to be maxed out? They both have the same 100 watt amplifier.

thanks.
Welcome to the Bazooka Forum. Try relocating your remote turn-on wire to eliminate the turn-on thump. Take the time to verify that your ground connection has been prepped correctly and is tight. Use your DMM (if you have one) to measure the resistance at ground, it should read zero.

The 10" Tube will have an increase in output due to the size difference.

How do you have the Tube mounted in your Civic currently?

Last edited by heavyduty; 01-19-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Just Gettin Started

I will take back to installer with your suggestions.

Forgot to mention that I also get the "thump" sound whenever I turn the light switch back and forth from "off" to "driving lights" to "headlights". I presume that the cause is the same as the thumping sounds when turning the ignition key to start the car?

I didn't see an answer to my question whether it is harmful to keep the amp at max volume all the time, especially when starting the car?

Sounds like it might be worth trying the 10"?

thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I will take back to installer with your suggestions.

Forgot to mention that I also get the "thump" sound whenever I turn the light switch back and forth from "off" to "driving lights" to "headlights". I presume that the cause is the same as the thumping sounds when turning the ignition key to start the car?

I didn't see an answer to my question whether it is harmful to keep the amp at max volume all the time, especially when starting the car?

Sounds like it might be worth trying the 10"?

thanks.
You have a ground issue. As for the gain setting, the simple answer is no, it is never a good idea to run any amplifier full tilt. The fact that you are having to do so to get any kind of meaningful output suggests a phase issue, improper Tube location or a bad connection with your input signals.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast

Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Rodek is on a distinguished road

Are you running the factory stereo in your car? Is it a DX, LX, EX or Si?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Just Gettin Started

I have a Civic Sport which is the same as the LX in the US. It is the stock stereo and have the tube positioned so that the tube opening is facing the rear end of the trunk.

I have since changed from the 8" model to the 10" and find that the sound is much louder with deeper and more resonating bass. The 8" model seemed to give a tighter sounding bass with less volume. Is the increased volume the result of a larger speaker surface area moving more air? Does a larger speaker diameter also give you a more resonating bass that is not as tight?

With the 10", I have been able to turn back the gain on the tube to just over half way and is still very loud with the bass control on the stereo set at +2 (max +6).
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have a Civic Sport which is the same as the LX in the US. It is the stock stereo and have the tube positioned so that the tube opening is facing the rear end of the trunk.

I have since changed from the 8" model to the 10" and find that the sound is much louder with deeper and more resonating bass. The 8" model seemed to give a tighter sounding bass with less volume. Does a larger speaker diameter also give you a more resonating bass that is not as tight?

With the 10", I have been able to turn back the gain on the tube to just over half way and is still very loud with the bass control on the stereo set at +2 (max +6).
Is the increased volume the result of a larger speaker surface area moving more air?

Yes, a larger driver will always move more air due to the increase in surface area.

Does a larger speaker diameter also give you a more resonating bass that is not as tight?

Generally yes, remember, we are dealing with physics here (an object in motion wants to stay in motion). However, due to the design of the Tube, the output can be tuned by simply sliding the Tube closer or further away from the vehicle. The closer the Tube is to the vehicle the tighter the response, and the further away the Tube is from the vehicle, the more the bass opens up and starts to sound boomy.

Check this link out; (pay special attention to Do You Hear What I Hear?)
http://www.bazooka.com/tech/faqs/Amplified%20Bass%20Tubes/10#start

Please post back with any other questions you may have.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Just Gettin Started

classictuber is on a distinguished road

I just purchased and had installed this same BTH100FHC. I am running an Alpine CDA-117 head unit. The unit puts out 40watts/channel. However even with the Bazooka gain cranked and the sub level up on the deck the bass is not at all pumping. Installation is in the hatch of my Subaru Outback. I had figured the amped 100watts would really let the bass flow but that does not seem the case.

Can anything be done? Is there any chance that the power can be running passively from my deck and not utilizing the 100Watt amp? Is the 8" - 100watt just simply not enough to power over a 6 speaker alpine system?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictuber View Post
I just purchased and had installed this same BTH100FHC. I am running an Alpine CDA-117 head unit. The unit puts out 40watts/channel. However even with the Bazooka gain cranked and the sub level up on the deck the bass is not at all pumping. Installation is in the hatch of my Subaru Outback. I had figured the amped 100watts would really let the bass flow but that does not seem the case.

Can anything be done? Is there any chance that the power can be running passively from my deck and not utilizing the 100Watt amp? Is the 8" - 100watt just simply not enough to power over a 6 speaker alpine system?
Welcome to the Bazooka Forum. Have you checked to make sure the Tube is correctly hooked up? You could be dealing with a phase issue. If the Tube is correctly connected have you tried flipping the Input Phase Switch? Which way is the woofer end of the Tube pointed in your Outback?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Just Gettin Started

classictuber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
Welcome to the Bazooka Forum. Have you checked to make sure the Tube is correctly hooked up? You could be dealing with a phase issue. If the Tube is correctly connected have you tried flipping the Input Phase Switch? Which way is the woofer end of the Tube pointed in your Outback?
Thanks for the welcome! I read the forums a little further and moved the tube from facing sideways to facing the back of my car. Did not make a huge difference but then i flipped the phase switch and VOILA - nice clean bass! Still I have the gain cranked to the max but it is much better. Would I be better to turn the gain down and crank up the bass on the head unit (currently sub on head unit at 10/15)? Also there are different phase subwoofer settings on the head unit - would playing with those make any difference?