Go Back   Club Bazooka > Bazooka Technical Forums > Passive Tube Subwoofers

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Choosing Tube with Alpine KTP-445 and MRP-F300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsanfor View Post
Excellent, off I go to do soundproofing and wiring under my shade tree. Be on guard for a puff of smoke from the Greensboro area ...

To emulate you, I'm going to add an avatar to my profile, as soon as I figure out how. It will be a variety of male sheep indigenous to the area about an hour east of here... I hope that does not make you unwilling to drink with me. Knowing WFU types as I do, I doubt it will ... I've not yet known one to turn down a free one .

Thanks again.

Wally
Wally, I am going to quote from Deep Purple for a response to your post;

Smoke on the water and fire in the sky....

Old 07-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Just Gettin Started

cwsanfor is on a distinguished road

Heavyduty,

I ended up with an Alpine PDX-F4 (http://www.crutchfield.com/s_500PDXF...mplifier&ssi=0) driving Polk tweeters and 5X7's in the doors, and the BT8028DVC, which ended up in the trunk due to the Dear Wife's Concerns (they really teach them to be persuasive at WFU, don't they?).

It's all finally wired correctly, but I'm having trouble setting the gain levels, and don't think I'm getting enough bass in the cabin.

I tried Crutchfield's take on setting gain (http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...rs_faq.html#24), but could never get the front speakers to distort before the amp protected itself.

I looked at David Navone's and Richard Clark's approach (http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csfor...ead.php?t=8544 and http://www.davidnavone.com/heresHow/...evelSet222.pdf), but I don't have an oscilloscope, and am over my head technically with that. I do have the AutoSound 2000 CDs, but don't fully understand how to use them, and don't want to invest hours of learning on something I do every 10 years.

So my question is, do you know anyone in the Triad area who can and will properly set all the levels and check out the installation? If so, do you have any idea what that would cost?

I see that AutoSound is in Burlington, and that would be cool, but I fear they focus on "competition" rigs, which this is not, and would be very expensive.

Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Heavyduty,

I ended up with an Alpine PDX-F4 (http://www.crutchfield.com/s_500PDXF...mplifier&ssi=0) driving Polk tweeters and 5X7's in the doors, and the BT8028DVC, which ended up in the trunk due to the Dear Wife's Concerns (they really teach them to be persuasive at WFU, don't they?).

It's all finally wired correctly, but I'm having trouble setting the gain levels, and don't think I'm getting enough bass in the cabin.

I tried Crutchfield's take on setting gain (http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...rs_faq.html#24), but could never get the front speakers to distort before the amp protected itself.

I looked at David Navone's and Richard Clark's approach (http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csfor...ead.php?t=8544 and http://www.davidnavone.com/heresHow/...evelSet222.pdf), but I don't have an oscilloscope, and am over my head technically with that. I do have the AutoSound 2000 CDs, but don't fully understand how to use them, and don't want to invest hours of learning on something I do every 10 years.

So my question is, do you know anyone in the Triad area who can and will properly set all the levels and check out the installation? If so, do you have any idea what that would cost?

I see that AutoSound is in Burlington, and that would be cool, but I fear they focus on "competition" rigs, which this is not, and would be very expensive.

Thanks again.
You will need to take a few different steps to set the amplifier gain. Before you start this process, can you tell me how you have the Tube mounted? For example, is the Tube mounted with the woofer facing the taillights?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:25 AM
Just Gettin Started

heavyduty,

The Tube is nearest the cab, running across the width of the car (perpindicular to the front-rear axis). That's about the only practical place I could put it in a Miata.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
heavyduty,

The Tube is nearest the cab, running across the width of the car (perpindicular to the front-rear axis). That's about the only practical place I could put it in a Miata.

Thanks.
How far away is the woofer end of the Tube from the side of the Miata?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Just Gettin Started

The Tube is located amidship, so that leaves about 18" on either side.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The Tube is located amidship, so that leaves about 18" on either side.
Bass output of the Tube will suffer if it is not corner loaded. Ideally, you need 2 to 4 inches between the woofer end of the Tube and the vehicle. This will greatly improve your bass response.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Just Gettin Started

Okay, I relocated the Tube and am ready to check the levels.

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Just Gettin Started

Wow, that's amazing that orientation and corner loading makes so much difference! With the speaker end of the Tube about 3-4 inches from the rear of the trunk the bass is so resonant I've had to substantially adjust the gain down, and adjust the gain on the fron speakers up. I'm not being very scientific, but with the Tube's gain at 75% and the front speakers at 85%, the bass was way too loud. I'll fiddle with it some more in the AM, just seeing what sounds best.

My crossovers on the HU and Tube are still at 80. I'm wondering what the sound difference would be at 100 ...
Old 07-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wow, that's amazing that orientation and corner loading makes so much difference! With the speaker end of the Tube about 3-4 inches from the rear of the trunk the bass is so resonant I've had to substantially adjust the gain down, and adjust the gain on the fron speakers up. I'm not being very scientific, but with the Tube's gain at 75% and the front speakers at 85%, the bass was way too loud. I'll fiddle with it some more in the AM, just seeing what sounds best.

My crossovers on the HU and Tube are still at 80. I'm wondering what the sound difference would be at 100 ...
It is all about the design of the Tube.

You can adjust your crossovers to see what you think sounds the best. There is a reason LISTEN TO YOUR EARS is a Bazooka trademark.

Tags
alpine, bridged, ktp-445, mfp-f300