Go Back   Club Bazooka > Bazooka Technical Forums > Amplified Tube Subwoofers

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: FAST-9999 Installaton Instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhawk View Post
I have a BTA10100 powered sub. I just purchased a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 500 watt amp, 9 speakers with factory sub in the back. I have the regular, non-fast, wiring harness so I can tap into the rear signal and the remote rbcm-100. I would greatly appreciate step by step instructions for this particular set up and materials needed. Can I just tap into the wires that supply the rear sub, should I split the signal or bypass entirely - pros/cons? Do I only need to extend the power from the battery to the rear, run the remote, ground at the back etc? Not sure what to do with the on/off loop or exactly what wires to connect.

Thanks!
You will need to decide where to make your connections for the Tube's signal input. You will most likely need a LOC (line output converter), in order for the factory system to stay on. There can be times that the factory system will turn-off due to an impedance issue. A LOC will prevent this. Most all LOC's on the market will have a Remote Turn-On feature, which will take care of the need to find a switched +12v source.

For the installation, you will need to find a schematic of the wiring harness to correctly tap into the signal wires. This will be done with the LOC. After this is done, you will plug the RCA's of the Tube's harness into the LOC, and your signal input is complete.

For the wiring, the constant +12v source will need to come from the battery, with a 7.5 amp installed in-line, preferably close to the battery for you to troubleshoot if you experience problems in the future. A 12 gauge wire for this will prove sufficient due to the low amperage draw. A ground will need to be properly prepared and made as short as possible. Finally, the Remote Turn-On wire on the Tube, will be connected to the Remote Turn-On wire of the LOC.

Make sure the Tube is positioned correctly (keep this in mind before you start the install in order to determine the length of the wires), and adjust the gain and you will be up and moving some air.

Post back with any additional questions.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Just Gettin Started

Trailhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
You will need to decide where to make your connections for the Tube's signal input. You will most likely need a LOC (line output converter), in order for the factory system to stay on. There can be times that the factory system will turn-off due to an impedance issue. A LOC will prevent this. Most all LOC's on the market will have a Remote Turn-On feature, which will take care of the need to find a switched +12v source.

For the installation, you will need to find a schematic of the wiring harness to correctly tap into the signal wires. This will be done with the LOC. After this is done, you will plug the RCA's of the Tube's harness into the LOC, and your signal input is complete.

For the wiring, the constant +12v source will need to come from the battery, with a 7.5 amp installed in-line, preferably close to the battery for you to troubleshoot if you experience problems in the future. A 12 gauge wire for this will prove sufficient due to the low amperage draw. A ground will need to be properly prepared and made as short as possible. Finally, the Remote Turn-On wire on the Tube, will be connected to the Remote Turn-On wire of the LOC.

Make sure the Tube is positioned correctly (keep this in mind before you start the install in order to determine the length of the wires), and adjust the gain and you will be up and moving some air.

Very helpful! I had this done by a professional on the 2015 I just sold with the same system minus the factory sub. I am certain the RCAs were not utilized and no LOC was installed either? Can I not just bypass the factory sub and use those wires for signal? Thank you.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

heavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to beholdheavyduty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhawk View Post
Very helpful! I had this done by a professional on the 2015 I just sold with the same system minus the factory sub. I am certain the RCAs were not utilized and no LOC was installed either? Can I not just bypass the factory sub and use those wires for signal? Thank you.
Sure, you can try to the High Level Inputs connected to the factory harness. In some factory systems there is no problem, while with others, the system will shut down and a key-off, key-on brings it back on, just to see it shut down again. If this does happen, you will need a LOC.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Just Gettin Started

davidthornburgh is on a distinguished road

Hey first post here. I just bought a Kenwood KMM-BT318U from Crutchfield and am confused about whether I can/should use the FAST package or the standard amp wiring kit they sold me. I have the BT8018. I've not installed a system before the more simple and plug and play the better. If it matters I'm putting all this in a 1991 VW Vanagon. Your advice welcome!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidthornburgh View Post
Hey first post here. I just bought a Kenwood KMM-BT318U from Crutchfield and am confused about whether I can/should use the FAST package or the standard amp wiring kit they sold me. I have the BT8018. I've not installed a system before the more simple and plug and play the better. If it matters I'm putting all this in a 1991 VW Vanagon. Your advice welcome!
Do you have the BT108, or the BT8100? If you are using the BTA8100, the FAST System was designed to connect to the appropriate connections at the headunit, quickly, securely and above all safely. There is absolutely no reason to the standard amp kit, and you should in fact return it.

If you have purchased the BT108, this will require a separate amplifier, and you will need to use the amplifier wiring kit purchased with the Tube.

davidthornburgh (05-06-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 02:07 PM
Just Gettin Started

JTspeed64 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone, I see it's been a little while since there's been a post to this thread but I just bought the bta850 and FAST harness and have a quick question. I have a JVC aftermarket head unit which I soldered to GM radio harness which plugs into the factory system. When I connect the posi-taps from the FAST harness, should I connect them to the wires coming out of the head unit (before the soldered splice) or to the wires from the GM adapter harness (after the slice, before the plug)?? Maybe it's a dumb question, I hate electrical work. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-25-2017, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTspeed64 View Post
Hi everyone, I see it's been a little while since there's been a post to this thread but I just bought the bta850 and FAST harness and have a quick question. I have a JVC aftermarket head unit which I soldered to GM radio harness which plugs into the factory system. When I connect the posi-taps from the FAST harness, should I connect them to the wires coming out of the head unit (before the soldered splice) or to the wires from the GM adapter harness (after the slice, before the plug)?? Maybe it's a dumb question, I hate electrical work. Thanks in advance!
Not a dumb question at all. You can connect anywhere in the harness, as they are all going to the speakers. For the best performance, connect to the front speakers. Unless they are of an extremely small size, then connect to the rear. However, the front speakers are the best. Post back with any questions.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:48 PM
Just Gettin Started

I know it's not "recommended" but I intend to use the sub output on the head unit with the RCA's.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTspeed64 View Post
I know it's not "recommended" but I intend to use the sub output on the head unit with the RCA's.
Then use the RCA's for the signal input, and connect the constant +12v to the constant +12v of the headunit/harness, the switched +12v to the key-on/key-off source at the harness and of course the ground to the appropriate ground connection.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:31 PM
Just Gettin Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
Then use the RCA's for the signal input, and connect the constant +12v to the constant +12v of the headunit/harness, the switched +12v to the key-on/key-off source at the harness and of course the ground to the appropriate ground connection.
Thanks for the info. So I only need to tap 3 wires, plug in the RCAs and ground the tube?

Tags
bta10100, bta6100, bta8100, bta850fh, fast, fast-9999, ta850c